[SunRescue] old storage [was Offerings]

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Thu Aug 19 13:19:42 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>This leads me to an interesting thing my dad told me ages ago.  He told
>me about a method of storage they used in the navy (where he was an
>instructor at the Great Lakes facility in Illinois) that used a metal
>wire run through a magnetic reader of some sort.  He was a
>math/geometry/calculus instructor there so he didn't have specifics, but
>he did say that it went through *extremely* fast.  One of the
>technicians removed a cover of some sort to troubleshoot something and
>nearly had a finger removed when he got too close to the wire.
>
>Any one know what this was?

I knew of a story (third hand at least) that there was a method of syncing
a wire recorder to a movie for movie sound, with constant manual tweaking
to maintain sync, and one specific occasion the wire slipped on the
take-up spool, and when the movie was over (a classroom setting) everybody
in the area was sitting in a tangle of fragile ferrous wire.  I think
durability has improved since we went to plastic tape and disks.

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....