[SunRescue] Offerings

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:16:41 CDT 1999

> >I run Apache on the home net (for testing web things if the mood
> >strikes or the workload is heavy) on a Sun 4/260.  It has plenty
> >of horsepower for that kind of thing.
>
>   Oh yeah...heck, running Apache on a  properly tuned OS most people would be
> surprised how much web serving a 4/200 processor can do.  They don't get
> slower with age, and the *real* software (as opposed to MarketWare) tends
> not to get so bloated as time goes on.

You raise some interesting issues about the old hardware.  On low-volume
servers, like my toyz, speed is relatively unimportant.  Anything 20mhz
and up with 8 megs of ram will do nicely, in command-line server mode.
Windowing is a little slow, but not all that slow in a single-login
environment.   The interesting point, that hit home over the past
couple of days as I was loading and tuning my 3/110 box on SunOS-3.5,
was that the entire base non-windowing system, with networking, manual,
Fortran, pascal, and a few other minimalist goodies, all fit in a 6M
root and a 32M usr size.  Small, light, tight code, with minimal bloat.
My addins were an additional 15M.  Addin TeX and gcc and apache for some
lowendian serving, and it may hit 70-80mb.   That is a lean machine!

You are right, .... real software don't bloat with time.....(:+}}...

(It can be buggy, sometimes, i.e., the SunOS-3.5 tar is broken, so I
 had to port in my 4.3BSD tar, which worked fine...anyone know why?)

Dinosaur Iron still has its usefulness, if you just learn how to use it....

Bob