[SunRescue] Plextor CD-ROMs

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Wed Aug 18 15:26:45 CDT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Heh.  I got my first look at the back of a VAXStation 3100 the other day,
> and the phrase "connector conspiracy" immediately jumped into my mind.  I
> hadn't seen that many weird connectors on the back of a machine since I got
> my first SUN ....

Hey now, Sun is easy.  Look at a Sparc 1 and you will see standard female
DB25 serial ports, a regular AUI ethernet jack, a regular micro-50 SCSI
connector, and little else.  The only funky connector is the audio jack,
and Sun supplied cables for that with every system.  Some other boxes have
weird stuff (the SS10/20 parallel port is a good example) but it's rare.

Compared with IBM (male DB9 serial ports?!?) and Apple (whoever invented
AAUI and the funky monitor connectors should be shot) Sun is a hallmark of
standardization.  Now, if you want to see a really bad example, look at a
DEC KL10.  They make the VAXstations/DECstations seem easy.

-James