[SunRescue] CDROM recommendations etc for a ss10, linux

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Wed Aug 18 10:11:28 CDT 1999

Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

> I'll be installing redhat 6 on the machine, and I'm considering
> getting the ss10 its very own external cdrom drive. Now i'm a
> bit confused about the exact requirements for such a drive.
> Will any old SCSI drive do? What are the crucial questions to
> ask?

Suns are very particular about the type of cd-rom drive. Besides the
offical Sun drives, the ones that usually work without a change are,
Sony, Pioneer, Plextor, and Toshiba. Any other that can be set to use
512 byte blocks will also work.

NEC drives never work. An "Apple CD-ROM 300" (Sony drive) will work, but an
"Apple CD-ROM 300+" (Panasonic drive) will not.

Remember to set your termination correctly, parity on, and the id to 6.
Boot your computer with the "new" command "boot cdrom".

For others reading this post, only drives physicaly set to 512 byte blocks
will boot using the "b sd(0,6,2)" type command. (SS1,IPC,SLC, and older).

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Tel:  (03) 6944-211  Fax: (03) 6944-225 Email: gsm at bfr.co.il