[SunRescue] IPX or Classics

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Aug 17 13:07:14 CDT 1999

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, hassani youssouf&toko suzuki wrote:
>>I have been offered to choose between an IPX and a classic same ram and hdd capacity which one should I choose this is the question ( I would like to install solaris 7.0 or suse linux on it )

  Well, the classic is a fair bit faster, but has a slower framebuffer...cg3
vs. cg6 in the IPX.  Same resolution and color depth, use the same monitors etc
etc, but the cg6 has a processor and is quite a bit faster while the cg3 relies
on the host sparc to do all the bit-banging work.

  Since you can get an sbus cg6 for $50-75 or so nowadays and slap it into an
sbus slot if you find the cg3 video too slow, or even run it dual-headed, I'd
say the classic is a better buy overall.

           -Dave McGuire