[SunRescue] SunOS 3.5 install

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 17 12:35:38 CDT 1999

> You might try to load the bootstrap from the tapes, but specify the
> program
> to boot to be on the disk:
> 	> b st()
>         Boot: sd()

Ahhh, I did not think to do that.  I will try that when I get home.

> The tarball on sun3arc is from the tapes that I have.  I made the
> tarball
> using the 4.1.1 tarball as a template, and uploaded it for Heiko to put
> on
> the archive.  It is possible that the dd commands needed a different
> block
> size.  I ran tcopy on the tape, but it does not report anything about
> the
> block size.

Dunno for sure.  You might try a bs=1b on the first tape read and
see if anything comes through differently sized than what is there,
now.

> Am I correct that you were able to copy mini-UNIX to the swap partition
> and
> boot the mini-UNIX?  If so, then at least that much of the tarball
> appears
> to be correct.  Maybe the root and usr (and other) tar files are not
> correct due to the block sizes not being what it wants.

Yes, it boots miniroot fine and gets into the setup script fine.
It loads the root tarball, and that is where one status 13 occurs.
I think it also gets a status 13 on one of the other files (I though
it was the usr tarball, but now I am not exactly sure).
It appears as if one of the scripts used to write the root and usr
tarballs out to file system might be where the problem is.  IFF that
is the case, then maybe miniroot is where the trailing garbage or
possibly a corrupted file system may exist.  The scripts are in the
miniroot, so, maybe, if they are giving me errors, something about
the miniroot is off?

I just did a tar -tvf of the sun3_root.tar file, and it tests OK, with
no trailing garbage.

Maybe it could be garbage on the miniroot.   Can you re-extract the
miniroot manually and see if any trailing garbage is there.

I just did a tar -tvf on the sun3_usr.tar file, and it also tests OK,
with no trailing garbage.

Maybe it is the miniroot.  The tpboot worked, and the diag and copy
utilities worked.  The xdrtocs look OK but seem to be flat ascii
(should they be binary files?).  There were 193 nulls in the first
one, for example.  The copyright seems short compared 4.1 or 4.1.1.
I dunno if that means anything or not.

> Anyone know of a better version of tcopy that can tell me the block size
> to use with dd for each record on the tape?

Try cptape or copytape.  I have the sources if you need them.  Although,
they should be fairly commonly archived on the net.

> Oh, and regarding the Sun2 users out there, I also have the SunOS 3.5
> tapes for Sun2 MC68010 that I could also make a tarball installation
> for.
> But first I want to make sure the Sun3 tarball works.

Anyone else got a spare sun3 to test the SunOS 3.5 suite on?

Bob