[SunRescue] Compaq CD-ROM on a Mac

Sam Creasey sammy at users.qual.net
Tue Aug 17 12:03:31 CDT 1999

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Hello....  I have a yamaha cdr400t, which has similar capabilities in
terms of jumpering to the panasonic, so my experiences might help..
(hopefully)

> I have a Compaq OEM version of the Panasonic 2x scsi drive that I have
> been using for booting Suns. It has a 512/2048 byte block jumper.
>
> On the Sun, I used it jumpered to 512 byte blocks, parity on, id 6.

Yup..  works quite well that way, don't it?

> I would like to use it on a 68040 Mac. I've removed the 512 byte
> blocks jumper and had no luck. I also tried turing off parity.

I got the yamaha to come up on a mac, without changing anything.

Once...  And after a single reboot, it went away.

> In both cases, I have not found a driver that works.
>
> Does anyone have a similar drive running on a Mac? If so what settings
> and driver are you using?

I've successfully used that drive later with a product/driver called the
"toast cd reader" or something very similar to that...  However, my
centris 610 is in ohio, and I'm in maryland, so I can't determine exactly
how I've got it configged...

-- Sam

"UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT
Information is ENCOURAGED, ESPECIALLY to COMPUTER BULLETIN BOARDS."
	-- Robert E. McElwaine