[SunRescue] SunOS 3.5 install

Tom Schmidt tschmidt at micron.com
Tue Aug 17 11:56:32 CDT 1999

BSD Bob wrote:
> Whatever is supposed to be writing the boot blocks, apparently does
> not, or does so incorrectly, because load then errors out from sd(0,0,0)
> ``>no boot''.
> ``>''
>
> Manually forcing a boot to sd(0,0,0) does not boot either, so it is
> something not being written at the tail end of some part of the load,
> where the boot blocks are written?

You might try to load the bootstrap from the tapes, but specify the
program
to boot to be on the disk:
	> b st()
        Boot: sd()

> I got the 3.5 tapes from Heiko's sun3arc archives.  Do you have a set
> that did not come from there?  Maybe something is off or different?

The tarball on sun3arc is from the tapes that I have.  I made the
tarball
using the 4.1.1 tarball as a template, and uploaded it for Heiko to put
on
the archive.  It is possible that the dd commands needed a different
block
size.  I ran tcopy on the tape, but it does not report anything about
the
block size.

Am I correct that you were able to copy mini-UNIX to the swap partition
and
boot the mini-UNIX?  If so, then at least that much of the tarball
appears
to be correct.  Maybe the root and usr (and other) tar files are not
correct due to the block sizes not being what it wants.

Anyone know of a better version of tcopy that can tell me the block size
to use with dd for each record on the tape?

Oh, and regarding the Sun2 users out there, I also have the SunOS 3.5
tapes for Sun2 MC68010 that I could also make a tarball installation
for.
But first I want to make sure the Sun3 tarball works.

Tom
--
_____      ___    Tom L. Schmidt, Manager, Component Characterization
                  http://netnow.micron.net/~tschmidt/