[SunRescue] Offerings

Kent Rankin srao at usit.net
Tue Aug 17 03:31:47 CDT 1999

>I'd prefer the Cray-2 myself (though it's harder to dance on).  Of the 23
>made I'm guessing there are fewer than 4 left intact (I know of 2 for
>sure).  About as subtle as a sledgehammer but a thing of beauty
>regardless.

    Ahhh, it's nothing but a short Cray-1.  =)

>It's amazing to me how much relatively useful Crays have fallen in price.
>I see EL98's and J90's at bargain prices now, they're even operable in
>noncontrolled environments.

    That's because of the rates Cray charges for decomissioning them.
All of the owners don't know what to do.  However, it puts me in a nice
place, as I'm familiar with the handling and operation of them.  =)

    So, don't get me wrong or anything, I'm not complaining.  =)

>If anyone finds a CS6400 that needs a (big!) home, I'm all ears.  :-)

    The BOA CS6400 recently was decomm'ed.  Too bad that you missed that
one.  Sun got it, as they needed some proc. boards.

                                            -Kent Rankin