[SunRescue] Offerings

Paul Pries Paul.Pries at sonera.se
Tue Aug 17 03:07:03 CDT 1999

ward at zilla.nu wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 01:59:00PM -0500, Tim Hauber wrote:
>
> > How can you say unfortunately, what other piece of computer equipment can
> > you think of that is actually in use from the early 70s?
>
> A whole heck of a lot of mainframe type stuff.  A bud of mine works at a local
> office of a huge petroleum company, and they still have a DG Eclipse.  I was
> talking about that book "The Soul of a New Machine" and he said that theirs was
> still in production.  Wow.  I'm sure that they're busily offloading it to a more
> y2000-compliant system (maybe it's always been y2k compliant?  You never know).

We had a DG Nova at one of the schools I went to. It was in "production" until
about 1993. Sadly I didn't hear their offloading of it until it was too late...
But I did get a couple of nifty VAXstations from the same place...:)

> > Just for fun, when was everybody born?
> > 4/26/69

6/6/60
Guess my parents tried to make a joke... My sister is born 7/7, guess what year...

Paul.