Re(2): Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 16 16:10:49 CDT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, BSD Bob wrote:

> I just threw out/gave away about 1500 old 8 inch floppers, after that.
> It would be more fun to run it back up on unix.  Altairs have become
> cult objectes de 8080, anymore.  Last one I ran across went for 350
> bucks at a flea market... no thanks...  that is too cult and slow for me.

Yes.  In the 80's, a friend of mine had an 8-way MP/M box in a rack, which
was the envy of every computer geek for miles around.  It's amazing how
little press some of the nice boxes got compared with the oldies (like the
Altair) which were less technically impressive.

I built my first EPROM programmer (S100 bus, all 74-series TTL) for that
thing.  Beautiful architecture, though semaphore locking between CPU's was
a PITA.

-James