Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Mon Aug 16 16:51:00 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>I've got one these my father gave me ages ago!  Except this an audio
>reel-to-reel, not a data device.  I had it setup in my office a year or
>two ago so I could listen to some old opera tapes from time to time.
>Wouldn't you know, every uninformed person that came in automatically
>assumed this was a very ancient computer and congratulated me on saving
>a piece of history.

This summer the school where I work cleaned out some stuff, and one of the
things we discovered is that some time ago someone threw out our reel to
reel tape player, but we still have a whole box of tapes that might be of
interest to some of our teachers.  Fortunately, in my collection I have a
reel to reel deck (and one that only came out of regular service 3 years
ago)  Kind of like places that have old data on 8 inch floppies, but
nothing to read them.  I have heard (may be an Urban Legend) that the
census bureau has data on tape in some format that no machine exists to
read, but that there was some prospect of modifying a piece of military
hardware in the Smithsonian to read them.  I guess people who archive data
sometimes just don't grasp the fact that the means to read the data needs
to be archived with it.

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....