Fa: So: La: Ti: Do: [SunRescue] Offerings

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 16 15:27:31 CDT 1999

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Keith Campbell wrote:

> Anyone remember those newfangled discpacks?  Those stacks of platters that
> held 60MB or 300MB depending on stack height?  Heavy too.

Woohoo, I remember those well back from my days as an operator.  Usually
kept in nice dark blue polycarbonate, with those little handles on the
top.

> Computer Operators' worst nightmare:  "I tried my discpack on every drive in
> the computer room, and none of them would read it!  They just made a weird
> grinding noise!"  AAARRRGH!

Say goodbye to your heads.

I always got a kick out of the big 3480 autoloaders, the square tapes made
for amazingly simple design.  Yes, I did a lot of 9-track loading, used to
have dual 9-tracks on my 11/750 and finally ended up trading my beautiful
Fujitsu 6250bpi unit (Pertec interface) to Tim Shoppa for a bunch of
terminals.  I always wanted one of the HP/Kennedy units that Sun resold, I
have a V7 source reel still floating around in storage.

Heck with 9-track, when I was an operator at UC Davis we still had 7-track
tapes from the 60's floating around.  They were a bear to read when we had
to, though.

-James