[SunRescue] Offerings

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:55:40 CDT 1999

> The machine with the paper tape, magnetic cards, real core, and vacuum
> tubes was an NCR 315 "mainframe."  The "console printer" was an IBM
> Selectric typewriter with its actuators wired into the desk-sized
> operator's station.  The rest of the design followed that lead.

Excellent copy!  Made my day!

The printers/consoles I always liked for a classic look were the
Friden Flexowriters.  You see them in the movies, sometimes.   They
were slow, ugly, and noisy, and looked like the secretary's '30's style
typewriter.  Alas, I never could quite get them set up to run on my 8
bit machines, and settled for ASR-33's instead, where everything was
in one ``box''.   They were not very reliable though, compared
to the Model 37's or the later Model 40 chain printers.

Bob