[SunRescue] Yale stuff up for grabs.

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 16 14:29:09 CDT 1999

> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, BSD Bob wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if a Mercury 8 inch scsi drive from an Apple will work on
> > a sun3?   I picked up one that seems to be 700mb or such.  Big mother.
>
> >From vague memory, that _might_ be an OEM Fujitsu K2372S.  The K series
> were normally SMD (HSMD) drives, but the S added a mostly-SCSI interface.

Nope, it is not one of the SMD critters.  I wouldnt mind finding a dual smd
cabinet with a good set of large mb drives.  The one I had, from the previous
owner, got rolled off the back of a truck, dropped about 6 feet, and then
discarded.  The only thing rescuable from it were the cables and power
supply.   I do have a set of smd boards and cables, should I run across
another.

This really is a straight scsi-II  Mercury Memory Systems (Ann Arbor, MI),
8 inch drive.  Nothing odd about it other than big.  Since I have the case
and power supply for it, and places to drop in a second scsi device in
the same cabinet,  I figured it might be worth fooling with.  All I really
got it for was the Exabyte tape drive in it.    The rest sure is a pretty
cabinet, though, almost like a deskside case.  The date is 1990, so it is
not really all that ancient a drive.

> I wouldn't mess with it.  If you really want to go retro, get some PDP-11
> era 14" drives under plexiglass and a VME Sun with proper driver board to
> run them.  My VAX had a pair of 155MB Fujitsus and they were things of
> beauty.

I don't have the vax for it....(:+{{.... I have mostly decided to give
up DEC and stick with Sun.  I shoveled my vax out about 6 mos ago.
The only thing left is a vaxstation and a couple of 2100's.  They are
junk, though.   Sun 3's are more fun.  Although.... I could use the
vax to format the Mercury drive out of the rom formatter.....hmmmm,
that might tell me the info about it, maybe, since it reads the drive
roms, if memory serves me correctly.....

Bob