[SunRescue] Offerings

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Sun Aug 15 00:54:54 CDT 1999

On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 09:41:25PM -0400, Christopher Drelich wrote:
> Back when I had my 3/80 as a DNS server, I was quite fond of dancing on
> it...
> Chris

Back when I did NeXTStep work, I'd dance to the PostScript gods in an attempt
to win their favor and get my printouts to come out well.  I never tried to
dance on a slab, but I bet the Cube could handle it.  Well, maybe not.
Magnesium-alloy sheet metal ain't that tough.  My dances would often result in
that sexy Brittish voice saying "Paper is jammed in your printer" or the like,
but it never seemed to affect the quality of my printouts.

Which brings me to my SunRescue-related question:  I've got an SS10 with a nifty
case that only has a floppy drive on the side.  It also has louvred vents going
down each side.  SS5 and SS10 models at work have a built-in CDROM slot and a
rather different case.  What's the difference?  What do I call 'em?  Which is
more likely to withstand my dancing upon it?  I think I'll start rating systems
by their ability to withstand dancing without structural damage (scuffing of the
paint is acceptable).  For instance, an HP 720/735 is very danceable, but the
715 and 712 models are not.  I imagine an HP C110 would handle it pretty well
though, as would a Sun UE450.

I'm glad that this list isn't stuffy.  I'd surely get banned for this message.

Reagen