Re(2): [SunRescue] What is difference between IPX and IPC sun machines?

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Fri Aug 13 16:30:56 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>  The IPC processor is clocked at 25MHz, while the IPX processor is
>clocked at
>40MHz.  Since we're pretty much comparing apples with apples here, that
>makes
>the IPX quite a bit faster.
>
>  Also keep in mind that the IPX onboard framebuffer isn't just
>color...it's
>GX-accelerated color (cg6), making it much zippier than the
>garden-variety cg3
>color framebuffers that make the sparc do all the work.

I agree, if video is what you do.  However, the faster bus on the IPC, and
the total lack of color if you are running it with the built in FB  make
it about as effective for command line work.  I have always preferred
busses running at chip speed, my favorite intel chip is still the
486DX/50, not to be confused with the DX/2.  I'd really like to see AMD
come our with a 200Mhz K7 running on a 200Mhz bus, with 200Mhz memory
clocking.  I bet it could give the 600/200/100 Mhz one  a run for it's
money on bus intensive applications.

These new multi-pipeline chips running twice the speed of their L1 cache
and 6 times the speed of the PCI bus must spend an awful lot of time
twiddling their thumbs.

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....