[SunRescue] Return to Solaris

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 6 14:48:22 CDT 1999

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Reagen Ward wrote:

> Is SunOS 4.1.x even y2k-ready?  Probably some patches or something.

SunOS 4.1.3_u1 rev B and 4.1.4 are "y2k-ready" with the appropriate
patches from Sun.  The only real showstoppers are the /bin/date command
(easy to fix with a free replacement anyway) and the libc update (much
more problematic).

I have taken a SunOS 4.1.1u1 system (Sun 3/60) past the year 2000 line
with few problems noticed.  Once /bin/date was replaced the system
operated well, though I'm sure there are a few subtle bugs lurking in libc
date formatting routines.  The OS was stable and worked well, though.
Don't be afraid to try it (though I'd be cautious if I was still using
really old versions in production).

-James [I maintained a bank of SunView systems up until 2 months ago]