[SunRescue] Sun 3/80 tape booting woes

Kurt Nowak knowak at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu
Mon Aug 30 01:40:10 CDT 1999

Hello folks,
Along with my 3/110, i also have a 3/80 that I want to bring back to
life. So i finally downloaded the Sun3x version of the SunOS 4.1.1 boot
tape images from Heiko's sun3 archive, and made the boot tape onto a
QIC-150 with a modified "dd" script that is included. The process for
that seemed to go without any errors.

The problem now is actually booting the 3/80 with this tape. I first
power up the machine, and everything looks healthy...e.g. mac address
and host id show up as they should..no checksum error.. It does a memory
test and that goes ok too. Then it tries to boot from the HD:

Boot: sd(0,8,0)

and then it comes up with this error message:

Error: (PSR = 0x203) Timeout Bus Error:
Vaddr: FEFF0690, Paddr: 63010690, Write FC 5, Size 1 at 0x00003FBC.

So then i figured since the drive came out of an SS1 and has a Sparc
SunOS 4.1.3_u1 loaded on it, it simply cant read the boot block...

Then i try booting from the SunOS 4.1.1 boot tape that i just made, on
my Sun QIC-150 Archive tape drive. I type:

>b st()

Then the tape starts to go into action, spinning and switching tracks.
It then promts with the message:

Boot st(0,28,0)

and then it continues to to its business until it comes to a halt with
the error message:

Error: (PSR = 0x203) Timeout Bus Error:
Vaddr: 0AF72345, Paddr: 00000345, Read FC 5, Size 2 at 0x00004000.

My question is, do these error messages mean that my 3/80 has a problem,
or my tape has a problem??

My NVRAM is ok and I believe set the settings in the prom monitor
correctly.
My prom version is 3.0.2.

Id appreciate any help because it looks like ive exhaused all my
resources for the weekend... :-)

Thanks
Kurt