[SunRescue] old storage

Kent Rankin srao at usit.net
Fri Aug 20 07:31:43 CDT 1999

> > On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, BSD Bob wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey, a platter hung on the wall would be a shocker to those folks used
> > > to teensie weensie 3.5 inch platters.....(:+}}...
> >
> > out of curiosity, just how big were these drives...?
>
>Well, the one on my wall is from a HP250 Minicomputer that was given
>to me. It's 17.5 inches across (it's a 32M platter).
>
>And yes, it DOES shock and amaze people who are used to gigs in a
>package of a few cubic inches :)

    You ought to hear what people say when I show them my Cray XMP memory.
=)

    All hardware is made of Gold, Paladium, Silver, or high-grade Copper.

    They're 32kW boards, and weigh about a kilogram per memory board(6x9
inches).

    I just love to point out, "Yeah, so the seats around are just the power
supplies.
And the big tall coke-can like structure is nearly *ALL* memory.  And all of
that for
*TWO* CPU's!"  =)  Of course, it's still a bad-assed machine.  =)

                                                    -Kent Rankin