[SunRescue] Offerings

Shawn Boyette mdxi at collapsar.cx
Thu Aug 19 15:52:16 CDT 1999

BSD Bob writes:

 > My addins were an additional 15M.  Addin TeX and gcc and apache for some
 > lowendian serving, and it may hit 70-80mb.   That is a lean machine!
 >
 > You are right, .... real software don't bloat with time.....(:+}}...

Just by way of comparison, I recently got my first Sparc (a LX with
96M of RAM and a 1G HDD). I decided to do an FTP install of Debian
Linux on it because I wanted it to be my web/mail/whatever server.

The initial install was the 9 Debian floppies, then 15M worth of
downloads. Then I manually added gcc/g++, Apache, PHP3, qmail  and
a few libraries that I missed on the initial install (hey, it was my
first time with dselect :).  Since then I've added a few miscellaneous
packages (jed, mutt, etc.). Here's the output of "df -h":

Filesystem            Size  Used  Avail  Capacity Mounted on
/dev/sda1             242M  159M    71M     69%   /
/dev/sda4             672M   46M   591M      7%   /home

A complete server and development environment (and the ENTIRE unpacked
Linux source tree) in 160M. And I've had people tell me that Linux is
bloated because it (sometimes) comes on 2 (or more) CDs. They just don't
understand that one of the big things about Unix is that *you* are in
control and *you* decide what goes where.

I love my Sparc, by the way. If I had to give up all my machines but
one, I'd keep the LX. It's just a better machine...looks cooler too.

Shawn Boyette, Programmer -- mdxi at collapsar.cx