[SunRescue] Need a system to learn on...

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 19 11:58:05 CDT 1999

> Hi All,
>
> I need a sun system to play around with, and to teach my Dad UNIX on.
> After buying a SparcBook to compliment my SS5, he realized that there
> wasn't a start button, and has vowed that we will not spend any more
> money on something he doesn't understand.  Does anyone have anything to
> donate (or sell for a reasonable price) to this nobel cause?  Systems,
> Keyboards, Mice, Diskdrives, Monitors?  I'm thinking 4m, but anything
> would be much appreciated.
>
> I'm in Wisconsin, so if anyone has a sun3 in the state or near, I could
> pick it up.
>
> -Jonathan

Jonathan.... some thoughts based upon my experiences over the past
few years.

If you are looking for a playtoy, as opposed to an iron monster,
I might recommend something like an IPX or an SS1, if you have to
have Sun for a learning toy.  The iron monsters are good, but can
be problematic to find spares for.  A 3/80 would be a good secondary
choice, since the software is available for that platform, in the
sun3arc and neurotica archives.   Also, NetBSD works fine on the 3/80
or the later sparcs, and OpenBSD works fine on the later sparcs.

If you are looking for a teaching machine, as opposed to any particular
brand of machine, I might highly recommend a simple 486/16M ram/1gig HD
machine with a reasonable monitor, using FreeBSD as the base ``Unix''.
Realistically, it makes the best practical learning machine, strictly
because of parts availability, and a large user base.  NetBSD, OpenBSD,
Linux, SCO Unix, etc, could also be loaded up, interchangeably, and
would have some merit as to system diversity.

If you want iron to get yer gemittenfingerpokins into, then a 12 slot
deskside VME crate of the sun3 or sun4 line is a classical gas.
Bear in mind that you will have substantial nuances to overcome in
order to make a good workhorse machine out of it (such as old tape
drives with decomposing rubber wheels, old HD's that are getting
harder to find, incompatibility issues between hardware levels, porting
sufficient software to suit, finding documentation  for it, etc.).
Also, finding working monitors of that vintage is getting difficult.
Most of what I have run across in surplus are dead or dying things.
Basically, I would not recommend one as a learning machine on which
to learn how to operate a unix box.  If you want a good, solid box
to tinker with, and are prepared to tinker, they are fine.

Good Luck....

Bob