Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Aug 19 11:14:29 CDT 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Tim Hauber wrote:
>>The BriteLites were a series of "laptops" (more like lap crushers if you
>>ask me) from RDI.  They used genuine Sun motherboards (most commonly the
>>IPX and LX) powered off of batteries and had a special sbus framebuffer to
>>drive the builtin LCD display (usually small, 640x480).  Consequently they
>>were very compatible but very big and heavy (the size of a small briefcase
>>and over 15lb).
>
><drooling>
>Wow, there is a museum piece!
>did they use lead acid batteries?

  Museum piece?  I had one in daily use as recently as two years ago, and I
know several people who use them at work now.  They're not difficult to find; I
see them now & then on misc.forsale.computers.workstation.  The best part
is...if you fry your cpu board, they're easy to replace! :-)

          -Dave McGuire