[SunRescue] Plextor CD-ROMs

Nicholas Richardson nrichard at chem.wayne.edu
Wed Aug 18 10:39:05 CDT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, paul yaskowski wrote:

>   this is offtopic, but will cdroms that can boot suns also be
> recognized by a vaxstation?  i have an old vaxstation3100 that i'd like
> to update to vms7.2, and if i can pick up a cdrom that will boot a sun
> and a vax for $16, i definitely will.

I think they do (I'm trying to remember if I used a plextor or a DEC drive
on my 3100). A few things to keep in mind. The external scsi port wont
work with a standard 68 to 50 pin cable, it needs some DEC scsi cable
(hooking the drive up internally worked fine for me). I also think the
vaxstations like to see the CD with address 4.

hope this helps

 --
Nick Richardson

Dept. of Chemistry