[SunRescue] IPX or Classics

Nick Richardson nrichard at chem.wayne.edu
Tue Aug 17 19:38:53 CDT 1999

>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, James Lockwood wrote:
>>Sadly, this time it's for real.  A brief excerpt from Sunsolve (I don't
>>think anyone will mind):
>>
>>> the 2.7 release notes announce the EOL of sun4c.
>>> sun4c directory should be removed asap so developers don't need to waste
>>> time on updating files in uts/sun4c and sanity testing on sun4c
>>
>>Gypsy/Voyager is also gone.
>
>  So...how long until folks with source code release "underground" 4c support
>kits for Solaris...or just move to NetBSD, OpenBSD, or Linux. ;)
>
>  When will Sun buy a clue?  There are THOUSANDS of 4c machines running all
>over the place.  People aren't going to chuck them and buy Ultras just because
>Sun wants them to.  They have to have a REAL reason...and so far, Sun hasn't
>given them one.  Except, of course, by unsupporting them with their OS, but
>there are so many alternative OSs around, all of which run SunOS/Solaris
>binaries...so why bother?
>
>  Ahh, suits.
>
>             -Dave McGuire

Assuming the next version of Solaris is even more resource intensive than
Solaris 7, would you even want to run it on an IPX? I once tried 7 on a
weitek'd Sparc 2, and fairly quickly went back to 2.5.1

One more thing, while I remember it, I think all the traffic on this list
in the past few days shows there is interest in a general "old" workstation
list. Heck I know I'd like to know of a resource where I can ask questions
about the Stardent I'm trying to get my hands on (if only I can convince
the wife..fortunately she doesn't know how big it is, just that it's
another computer).

Nick Richardson

Nick Richardson
Wayne State University