[SunRescue] SunOS 3.5 install

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Aug 17 10:53:40 CDT 1999

> Bob,
> 	Are you using the QIC-24 tapes (45 or 60MB) on a QIC-24 drive?
> A QIC-150 drive may not work.  The tarball should be OK, although I did
> not test it since I no longer have any Sun3 hardware.  I do not know
> what the status 13 error message would be.

QIC-24 tapes written on a FBSD box or an RT BSD box or a Sun3 box,
on several tapes.  I will make another load tonight from different
tapes rolled on the 4/260.  I am beginning to think it is not the
tapes, but something actually in the install scripts.  It could be
that I don't have something set exactly right, maybe.  Dunno yet.
The machine is a 3/110 with MD21 and Micropolis 1558's and an archive
tape drive on the MT controller.  The drives were totally reformatted
in the 3.5 install, just in case it was something in the 4.1.1 that
was different, previously, in disklabels or boot blocks or such.

A little message goes by in the top screen window to the effect that
/usr/install/somethingorother script exited with status 13.  It continues
It seems to be where it is writing the root fs or usr fs.

Whatever is supposed to be writing the boot blocks, apparently does
not, or does so incorrectly, because load then errors out from sd(0,0,0)
``>no boot''.
``>''

Manually forcing a boot to sd(0,0,0) does not boot either, so it is
something not being written at the tail end of some part of the load,
where the boot blocks are written?

I got the 3.5 tapes from Heiko's sun3arc archives.  Do you have a set
that did not come from there?  Maybe something is off or different?
Dunno, yet.

Bob