[SunRescue] Offerings

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue Aug 17 01:56:17 CDT 1999

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Kent Rankin wrote:

>     There's nothing friendly about those things.  They're all aluminum cans
> now.  =P  Damn the DOD for requiring so many of their machines to be
> smelted.

Indeed, a great pity.  At least the LANL one should endure, if there's any
justice in the world.

>     Of course, you can still play Duck Duck Goose on some XMP's if you can
> get
> access to the remaining handfull.

I'd prefer the Cray-2 myself (though it's harder to dance on).  Of the 23
made I'm guessing there are fewer than 4 left intact (I know of 2 for
sure).  About as subtle as a sledgehammer but a thing of beauty
regardless.

>     The construction on them is just phenomenal.  They truly deserve to be
> in
> a museum just for that(the cases).

It's amazing to me how much relatively useful Crays have fallen in price.
I see EL98's and J90's at bargain prices now, they're even operable in
noncontrolled environments.

If anyone finds a CS6400 that needs a (big!) home, I'm all ears.  :-)

-James