Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

Kent Rankin srao at usit.net
Tue Aug 17 01:18:55 CDT 1999

>This brings up a question, since I haven't built my building yet (The
>building is starting to get mythical, but it sure is nice in my head)
>Since I am building my own raised floor (actually, I am planning on a
>network of underfloor channels, not a full raised floor)  Can I run my
>nework (I'd like to go cat6)  close to power wires without noise issues?
>Local code says I can run Romex without conduit, does metal conduit help
>reduce noise?  I can do all power drops from the ceiling, and all computer
>wiring from the floor, but it would be easier to run them both below.
>
>I suppose I could get a local electrician to staple all my network lines
>tightly to the wall studs, and make sure it runs extra tight when it turns
>a corner :-)

    I would *REALLY* recommend a professionally built raised floor.  In
fact,
it is very likely that you could pick up someone else's used for much less
than you could build one for even if you got high-grade Aluminum for free.

    Run your power under raised flooring.  That's half of the joy as well.
Allow a few inches from the power to avoid any future potential issues.
Generally, for 100baseTX and below, I've always found Flourescant lighting,
Neon Signs, etc.(see the pattern; all HV lighting that gives off strong RFI)
to be the only problem.  Just go with Plenum, and you should be okay.

    As for the price of raised flooring?  The most recent flooring that I
recall going cheap was the North Carolina Supercomputing Center's.  The
NCMC's across the street should be going sometime soon, but the NCSC's three
floors of flooring went for about $350.  It was a beautiful thing.  =)

                                                -Kent Rankin