[SunRescue] Yale stuff up for grabs.

Kent Rankin srao at usit.net
Mon Aug 16 19:31:34 CDT 1999

>Double wide is the beastie that takes up two sbus slots, instead of just
>one.  :)  I THINK they'll work in an SS1 if you have two free slots.  A
>friend of mine has one in his SS2 for sure.

    Me and some guys I used to work with on an IBM SP2 used to call their
"High" Nodes "Double-wide's".  =)  Mind you, seeing as to how we were
located in Tennessee, it was much funnier than it would have been
otherwise.  =)

    So you understand, the SP2 was layed out with 2 columns of 8 processor
slots.  You had three options for your processor nodes:

        Thin Nodes    -    1 processor slot (1x1)
        Wide Nodes    -    2 processor slots horizonally (2x1)
        High Nodes    -    4 processor slots (2x2)

    So, in a 2x8 processor cabinet, if you only put in one type of processor
node, you could fit the following:

            16 Thin Nodes
             8 Wide Nodes
             4 High Nodes

    Mind you, it was possible to mix processor node types, and this is done
quite often in SP2 configurations, as the node switches aren't exactly in
the
"bargain bin" yet.

    Guess I'll throw in the obligatory ASCII diagram, too:

                +----------------+
                | High 1  High 1 |
                |                |
                | High 1  High 1 |
                |----------------|
                | High 2  High 2 |                +----------------+
                |                |                |                |
                | High 2  High 2 |                |                |
                |----------------|                |   48" Tall     |
                | Wide 1  Wide 1 |                |   Disk Cabinet |
                |----------------|                |                |
                | Wide 2  Wide 2 |                |                |
                |----------------|                |                |
                | Thin 1| Thin 2 |                |                |
                | Thin 3| Thin 4 |                |                |
              |  Switch            |            |                    |
              |  Power Supplies    |            |                    |
              |  Etc.              |            |                    |

                                                    -Kent Rankin