Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Mon Aug 16 19:30:38 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:

>Bootstrapped my CP/M machine while working the nite shift,
>borrowing the LSI-11's two 8-inch disks (full-width, double
>density!).  Wire-wrapped a Z8000 S-100 board (Boy, I thought
>that chip was going places.)

Did you know the z80 is available as a surface mount for imbedded
processes?
Yeah, the z's were nice chips, but they didn't fall into being "the" chip
like the x86s did.  too bad. My Dad still has an s-100 card cage
somewhere, with a z80 brain board and some A->D and D->A from a process
controller of some sort.  Won't let me have it, mutters something about
the z80 being a great chip, and someday....

>My first Sun was a 3/60 with 24Meg and a 150MB hard disk that
>would seize up whenever the machine was shut off - I had to
>pull it out of the shoebox, remove the circuit board and grab
>it's flywheel and twist to get it unstuck - I think the bearing
>grease must have turned into some sort of glue.  The compiler
>was still bundled with SunOS3.6, but I wanted to play with C++
>so I grabbed the 1.37 G++ compiler.

I have a 486 notebook that will boot if I twist it violently around the
axis of the drive :-)

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....