Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

scohen - Stephen Cohen scohen at acxiom.com
Mon Aug 16 15:55:42 CDT 1999

All y'all are youngsters.  My first encounter with programming was a Wang programmable calculator using 80 column punched cards.  This was 1966 - I was in 8th grade.  My first job was with Sperry Univac R&D (Database Systems, RPS 1100, Roseville, MN) on 1108b mainframes - the ones with actual core memory.  We had to be careful opening them up . . . all those ones and zeros can make a real mess.

I was through grad school with a Master's in Computer Science BEFORE the Apple II was invented.  In fact, Sperry asked me to look into the Apple - in my infinite wisdom, I concluded that this microcomputer was incapable of hosting a database of any sort.  Much later I learned of the Boeing Vulcan project (later renamed dBASE II which ran on a CP/M card inserted into a IIe).

A. G. Edwards once asked me of the significance of the Apple Lisa.  I told them that it represented as big a leap over MS-DOS as the original Apple represented prior to the invention of the general purpose microcomputer.

Now, that's OLD!

Stephen P. Cohen           Email:  scohen at acxiom.com
Acxiom Data Network        Phone:  (501)336-2054
Logistics Business Unit    Fax:    (501)336-3910

Acxiom Corporation         Web:     http://www.acxiom.com
301 Industrial Boulevard
Conway, AR   72033