Re(2): Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Mon Aug 16 14:32:21 CDT 1999

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 02:58:49PM -0500, Tim Hauber wrote:

> I said that about a Packard Bell tower just Friday, but that one isn't a
> beauty of design.  My favorite computer case of all time is the case Apple
> used on the PowerMac 7200 et. al.  It isn't as durable because Apple
> always uses a lot of plastic, but the sheer design of the case, with the
> hinged power supply, I like the traditional Apple cases.  Don't like the
> G3s.

I also love the older PMac cases.. The 7100 was a joy, the 7600 was better in
some respects and worse in others.  The best I've ever used was the HP 712.

Flip-off top, no screws for the floppy or hard drives, and the HD was packed in
some weird heat-conductive and impact-absorbing foam.  Wonderful stuff.  If
only it were more upgradeable (like the Suns are.. You can make an old SS5 very
fast with Ross HyperSPARC modules, and I hear that you can even pop an Ultra in
there.  With an old HP, you get to.. well.. leave it the way it is.

The absolute worst I've opened so far is the e150.  Someone on this list warned
me, and I didn't listen.  Sheesh, that thing was very weird.  Multiple layers
of sheet metal, tons of formed foam, all to get at a standard looking board.

Reagen