Re(2): [SunRescue] Yale stuff up for grabs.

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 16 11:51:37 CDT 1999

> rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
> >Anyone know if a Mercury 8 inch scsi drive from an Apple will work on
> >a sun3?   I picked up one that seems to be 700mb or such.  Big mother.
> >
> >Bob
>
> anybody know if a drive that old would be trustworthy?  Those big old
> drives were a lot more shock sensitive than the newer ones, and the
> chances of it getting a jar sometime in its life obviously go up with age.

It came from an apple memory server thingie by Nortel.  It is heavy duty
stuff, and probably just fine.  The reason I got the case was that it
contained a tape drive.   At 5 bucks, it was worth the lugging.

The tape drive turned out to be an Exabyte 8200, which should make one
of my sun vme crates happy.

>  Also be careful about big drives and little power supplies.  Some of
> those old monsters measured input power with 3 digits.  I'd put it in an
> external case, and use it for totally unimportant data, but it would be
> fun to hear it run.

The drive is in an external case about the size of a PC tower, and has
its own power supply.  Basically it is a stuff the parameters from it
into a format and try it out as sd(0,2,0), or something like that.
It has a db50 connector I/O on the back panel of the case, and a scsi
ID switch already.

If it was dumb enough to run on an apple box, it should run as a plain
jane scsi drive on a sun3.  My problem is finding the cylinders, heads,
sectors for it.

Just thought I would ask, though.

Bob