Re(2): [SunRescue] Offerings

Bill Bradford mrbill at frenzy.com
Mon Aug 16 10:24:49 CDT 1999

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 11:02:23AM -0500, Tim Hauber wrote:
> has anyone else noticed the horribly short lifespan of the modern 20x+ IDE
> CD drive?  I still haven't found a place selling 6x drives for <$20, but
> those slower older drives read more reliably (especially writable CDs) and
> last much longer than the new faster ones.  Incidentally they also weigh
> more.  Consumer computer equipment has definitely moved into the
> disposable era.

Consider the "Apollo" printers (made by HP in taiwan; same guts as the
HP 420c or whatever, but different outer shell).  $59.95 or so retail.
A new color cartridge costs $30 or so.  Thats nearing the "throw it away
and buy a new printer instead of a ink cart" stage... sheesh...

Bill

--
Bill Bradford * mrbill at sunhelp.org * http://www.sunhelp.org
>From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
"Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."