[SunRescue] SLC/ELC Info

Neil McNeight mcneight at umich.edu
Fri Aug 13 18:20:53 CDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Reagen Ward wrote:

> Which reminds me.. Anyone got any of those ELC/whatever all-in-one units?  I'd
> LOVE to get one for my wife.  Were any of 'em color, or were they all grayscale?
> Sorry to bring the track back on topic (I was greatly enjoying the thread about
> cheap PC cases), but I thought I'd ask.
>
> Reagen

I've got an SLC sitting here awaiting a keyboard cable (I've already
played with it through the serial console, but that kinda defeats the
purpose of the all-in-one). I'm told it's dog-slow as SPARC's go
(20 MHz with a max of 16 Mb RAM), but it should make for a decent
RAID controller :)  An ELC would probably make for a better X terminal
(33 MHz with a max of 64 Mb RAM), but they both have mono monitors
and no way to support an external framebuffer, either. Take a look at
http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref1.html for more info.

This reminds me too: Does anyone know of any kinds of upgrades that can be
performed on an SLC? I'm thinking along the lines of a firmware/boot ROM
upgrade (like the sun3's had), but there might be other stuff that I'm not
aware of.

Thanks!

-Neil

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." | Neil McNeight
                        -Mahatma Gandhi            | mcneight at umich.edu