[SunRescue] IPX/Linux/or?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Aug 13 16:01:28 CDT 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, James Lockwood wrote:
>I used a 4/330 (same machine, smaller chassis) as my main home server from
>'95-'97.  It's similar in performance to a Sparc 1+ or IPC but seems to
>hold up better under load and can take more memory.  It will eat its
>weight in electricity every month and is loud.  Get it if you're into that
>kind of thing.  :-)

  The /x30 chassis aren't that difficult to find and are much more
power-efficient than the /x70 chassis.  It might pay to move it into one of
those.  You can also run them in x/110 chassis if you can find one...no
internal drive mounting space, but much smaller and quieter.  I run several
4/600 processors in those boxes and they're quite nice.  It's yet another
configuration that Sun says "can't possibly work", but then the people who seem
to know the least about Sun machines are...well, Sun employees. :)

  The 4/300 cpu is rated at the same 18.7 MIPS as the IPC and SS1+ but its
processor has 16 contexts as compared to 8 in the IPC and SS1+.  This makes for
much better multitasking performance overall.

  A 4/300 (no matter what the chassis) is an excellent workhorse machine if
you're looking for a web server or file server to just sit in the corner,
crunch stuff all day and all night, and never go down.

                              -Dave McGuire