[SunRescue] IPX/Linux/or?

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 13 15:12:05 CDT 1999

> Rather than repeat stuff, I'll just put my tuppen'th (tuppence -- two
> pence -- worth) in. I've been reading here on the sidelines for a month or
> so. I have an IPX I want to load with Linux -- I hope.

Linux should do fine.  I loaded up RH6 on mine, decided it was too gaudy,
loaded up OpenBSD, and have been happy ever since.  I guess that means
I tend to be more of a spartan traditionalist.  The OBSD port was easier
to understand, and loaded nicely via ftp from the home network.  SunOS
seemed slooooooow by comparison.  RH6 was a little slow, too, and did not
seem to let me at the guts of the OS, easily.

I was 5 feet behind in getting the IPC I mentioned earlier.  Drat....
Oh, well, mebbie something will show up next week in surplus.....(:+}}...

Anyone have any feel for how usable a 4/370 deskside machine would be
as a home server?  There was one of those on a pallet, in surplus, today,
but I am waiting for the price to drop (50% per week), until it fits
my beerbellie budget.  It looked like the backplane was full, but there
was one scsi cable hanging off the back, and the monitor and keyboard
were nowhere to be seen.  Other than the front plastic door being broken
on one hinge where the rivets had separated, it looked in fair to  good
shape.  What would be the expected internal drives on a 4/370?

Another.....Bob