[SunRescue] SS10 RAM

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 12 16:49:17 CDT 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Reagen Ward wrote:

> What kinds of RAM can a SS10 take?  I heard it can take Ultra1 RAM, but I'm not
> sure..  I've got some RAM out of a ue150, but I haven't looked to see if it even
> fits.

BTW, for those who don't know.  A UE150 is an Ultra 1 (usually a 1/170,
non-E) motherboard in a truly funky chassis with a SunSwift card included.
There's an external cable that goes from the Swift to the internal disk
cage.

The construction quality and accessability are absolutely terrible, and
the 150 ranks as the worst put-together Sun I have ever maintained, even
surpassing the Ultra 5/10.

That said, if you never have to open the case, they're not bad boxes.  The
250 is dramatically better, though.  My favorite "issue" with the 150 was
discovering what happens when you do a soft power-off (shutdown -i5) on a
serial-connected system 3000 miles away with limited operations staff.
It's not pretty.

-James