[SunRescue] Yale Sparcs

Kurt A. Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Thu Aug 12 14:43:29 CDT 1999

Jeff Stuesse wrote:

> So how did the Yale thing turn out.......
> That was one of the ONLY threads on this list that was ON topic. (rescuing
> sparcs)

Ha!  I went down there last week and picked up a couple of dead Sun 13w3
monitors and a dead SparcPrinter.  I'm going to try and resurect the
Printer for my personal use - it looks like the fuser may be fried, but
that's only supposition at this point.  Once I find some time to
troubleshoot it (and find a paper tray) I'll see if I can get it back
online.  That's all I found last week, however...

On Monday I went back to Yale because my contact was at lunch when I
arrived on Friday and so I didn't get to see all the good working
stuff.  On Moday I picked up 6 SparcStation 1s, 2 Mono monitors, and a
box of keyboards and mice.  A quick check tells me that there's about
4-5 keyboards with optical mice and pads, and about 8 non-sun micrphones
in that box.  There may be other stuff hidden at the bottom, but I'm
working against a tight deadline on a book so I haven't had a whole lot
of time to catalog them.  I also picked up 3 external drive cages
(non-sun) with gargantuan 2GB drives.  I'm not kidding, the drives are
about 10 pounds apiece.

So it makes a list that looks like this:

3 external scsi boxes with possibly dead 2GB drives
6 Sparcstation 1s
2 mono monitors
4-5 keyboard/mouse combinations with optical mouse pads
~8 non-sun microphones

It's not a grand haul, but a good one nonetheless.  I'm going to keep
the monitors (you probably don't want to pay to ship them anyway - these
suckers are *HEAVY*) and probably 2 Sparc-1s with keyboard/mouse/pad.
The rest is up for grabs, I have no need for external scsi cases at this
point.  The current video adapters in the sparcs are mono DB9 connectors
so I'm looking for a color adapter for one of them.  I don't know what
the sparcs have in them - it's a real hodge-podge of equipment.

This weekend I'm going to catalog what's in the sparcs.  I already know
that some have HDDs, some don't, and some have 2 HDDs.  The memory
appears maxed out on all of them, and one appears to have an add-on CPU
card with a Texas Instruments logo (any ideas?).  One doesn't have a
video adapter either.  I'll post a list this weekend with the specifics
once I get finished writing these chapters, then I'll be happy to make
trades for the equipment.

I promised that I wouldn't charge anyone real money for these prizes,
and I won't.  I would, however, like to discuss trades with a swap of
shipping charges (you pay to ship this stuff, I pay to ship the stuff I
took in trade).
--

Kurt A. Huhn
kurthuhn at k-huhn.com