[SunRescue] Sunos 3.5 on OLDEN sun3toyz

Tom Schmidt tschmidt at micron.com
Thu Aug 12 13:21:12 CDT 1999

BSD Bob wrote:
> Are there any gargantuan size effects of static files on 3.5?

Yes, the binaries are larger since libc and other libraries are
statically
linked in.  Note that a SunOS 4.X sun3 binary would run on SunOS 3.X if
it was statically linked, but dynamically linked binaries of course
could
not run on SunOS 3.X.

> Mostly what I want from it is a minimal system with troff/tex/fortan
> and minimal ftp/telnet networking.
>
> Can the C compiler handle gnutar and gzip, from GNU sources?

I had several of the GNU utilities built, including gzip, gnutar-1.12,
and gcc-2.7.2.  I did not try later versions of gnutar and gcc.
I also had InfoZip's zip-22 and unzip-5.32 utilities.  Also gawk,
bison, flex, less, diffutils, fileutils, binutils, bash, pdksh, tcsh,
perl5, ghostscript, and pine.  I did not try X11 either.

> Can the C compiler handle a TeX build (somewhere, vaguely, I remember
> problems with TeX builds on early sun 3.x unices, but I would have
> to check for specifics).

I never tried to build TeX on the Sun3, so I don't know if it was ported
or not.

> I was checking my manual dates last night.  One set has a 1986 date,
> and the other a 1990 date.  I am assuming the 1986 set is for 3.x
> and the 1990 set is for 4.1?  Is that reasonable?

Those dates sound reasonable.  I still have a hardcopy set of SunOS 3.5
manuals that occupies 4 feet of bookshelf space, Volumes 1-9.
They are dated 1986.  Maybe I should clean my office someday...
If someone wants to pay for the shipping on them, they can probably
have them.

Tom
--
_____      ___    Tom L. Schmidt, Manager, Component Characterization