[SunRescue] Sunos 3.5 on OLDEN sun3toyz

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 12 12:59:38 CDT 1999

> For the 3/260, the controller address on the mainbus is 200000.
> This is step 5 on my procedure.  The 3/60 uses address 140000.

I used 200000, but for some reason, it did not want to write to it.
It accepted the value, though.

> > What c compiler is that in the 3.5 tapes, pcc or sun's compiler?
>
> It was Sun's C compiler.  One main difference in the SunOS 3.X and
> SunOS 4.X compilers was that SunOS 4.X introduced dynamic libraries.
> All SunOS 3.X binaries are statically linked.  Most binaries built on
> 3.X would run on 4.X as long as they didn't have kernel dependencies.

Are there any gargantuan size effects of static files on 3.5?

Mostly what I want from it is a minimal system with troff/tex/fortan
and minimal ftp/telnet networking.

Can the C compiler handle gnutar and gzip, from GNU sources?

Can the C compiler handle a TeX build (somewhere, vaguely, I remember
problems with TeX builds on early sun 3.x unices, but I would have
to check for specifics).

> You're welcome.  I ran SunOS 3.5 on several Sun3 machines for years,
> finally phasing out the last one about a year ago.  I have been working
> with Sun machines since SunOS 3.2 on Sun2 systems.  Now that was a
> screamer
> of a system!

Gee, that is a dinosaur.....  Somewhere I remember someone with a Sun 1
that was still supposed to run.  Other than wearing out drives and tape
transports, the things run forever!

I was checking my manual dates last night.  One set has a 1986 date,
and the other a 1990 date.  I am assuming the 1986 set is for 3.x
and the 1990 set is for 4.1?  Is that reasonable?

Thanks

Bob