Re(2): [SunRescue] WTB: Type 4 Keyboard Cable

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Thu Aug 12 11:06:04 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:

>Hee..... hee......  I was thinking the same thing, tried it, and it
>did not work.  If all the pins are there, it may be possible to break
>the cable in the middle and route it correctly.  I am thinking the
>mac cable may not have all pins straight through, but may swap TX/RX
>or something like that.  Anyone know for sure?
>
>Anyone know if the mac printer cable will work as a printer cable on
>a sun (IPX or somesuch)?  I have a mac postscript printer (laserwriter II)
>that would be nice to get hooked up to either an SS1 or an IPX.

Here's the fun part about Mac cables.  There are two different standards,
one for printers, others for other stuff, one is "nulled"  The other is
not.  In fact I hooked up my powerbook to my IPC with what looked like a
straight cable, and it worked.  If someone has the serial pin out for the
Sun and the Mac it would be nice to see them posted together.  I intend
when I get time, to sit down and mark all my cables with that mini din
plug as to whether they are straight through or "nulled"  for right now I
just try my stack of cables til I find one that works.  I've run into this
same problem with mini din to DB25 cables.

Tim

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....