[SunRescue] Need info on install of SunOS 3.5

Tom Schmidt tschmidt at micron.com
Wed Aug 11 11:03:20 CDT 1999

Bob and others,
	I have a copy of the SunOS 3.5 install procedure for a Sun 3/60
system.  Here is a rundown of how to install SunOS 3.5 from the tapes.

1.  Load Tape 1 into the tape drive.

2.  At the > prompt, enter:
        b st(0,0,0)
    The system will blink off and on once, and then print:
        Boot: st(0,0,0)
    Wait for th Boot: prompt.

3.  At the "Boot:" prompt, enter:
        st(0,0,3)
    This loads and starts the diag program.

4.  When you see the menu of disk controller, for a Sun 3/60, enter:
        4
    This choice specifies the Emulex MD21 - SCSI/ESDI disk controller.
    You may need to choose a different controller for your
configuration.

5.  At the prompt for mainbus address, enter:
        140000
    Again, this is for the Sun 3/60 with Emulex MD21.

6.  At the "which target?" prompt, enter:
        0

7.  At the "which unit?" prompt, enter:
        0

8.  When you see the menu of disk drives, choose the correct disk.

9.  Format the disk.
    a.  At the diag> prompt, enter:
            format
        The program will then respond with SCSI format and the format>
prompt.
    b.  At the format> prompt, enter:
        The program warns that this process destroys all disk data, and
then
        asks "are you sure?"
    c.  Enter:
        Messages indicating correction of bad disk blocks may appear.
These
        are normal and can be safely ignored.
        When formatting is complete, the system message "Done" and the
        format> prompt are displayed.
    d.  Exit the format program by entering:
            quit

10. To partition the disk, enter the following at the diag> prompt.
        partition

11. Select a partition table. You may also choose to modify it.

12. At the "OK to use this partition table?" prompt, enter:
        yes

13. When the system is ready, the diag> prompt will appear. Enter:
        label
    The system asks:
        OK to use logical partition map?
        Are you sure you want to write?
    Enter "yes" to each question.

14. When you are finished labelling the disk, exit the diag program by
entering:
        quit
    The system returns a Boot: prompt.

15. Copy the mini-UNIX operating system from tape to disk.
    At each of the prompts listed below on the left, enter the
associated
    response on the right:
        Boot:                            st(0,0,4)
        Size: 25220+4900+113452
        Standalone Copy
        From:                            st(0,0,5)
        To:                              sd(0,0,1)
    This process takes approximately 10 minutes to copy the mini-UNIX to
    the swap partition of the disk drive.  When the copy operation is
finished,
    you will see the message "Copy completed", the number of bytes
involved,
    and the Boot: prompt.

16. Boot mini-UNIX by entering:
        sd(0,0,1)vmunix -as

17. After a few lines of boot information, the booting program will stop
and
    prompt for the root device. Enter:
        sd0*
    When booting is completed, you will see the # prompt.

18. Check the date by entering:
        date
    If it is incorrect, set the correct date by entering:
        date yymmddhhmm.ss
    where:
        yy - year digits (note not Y2K compliant)
        mm - month digits
        dd - day digits
        hh - hour digits (24-hour clock)
        mm - minutes digits
        ss - seconds digits (optional)

19. Call the Setup program to load the UNIX operating system. At the #
    prompt, enter:
        setup
    The setup program contains five forms in which you enter information
    and select options.  I will not go into the details of the setup
    program since it is fairly straight forward.

20. After setup is completed, you should have SunOS 3.5 installed and
    running on your Sun3 system.

Good Luck...Tom