[SunRescue] Return to Solaris

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 6 14:23:20 CDT 1999

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Steve Mynott wrote:

> I am running OpenBSD on my SS2 and very nice it is.

Yes.  The BSD's have had much more development time on SPARC and are
consequently more mature.  NetBSD/SPARC was usable 4-5 years ago if you
didn't mind a few quirks (most of which have gone away).

> I know there are "sites" with Sun3 SunOS 4.1.x ... are there any
> with Sun 4 SunOS 4.1.x?

Sun specifically allows distribution of sun3 SunOS, I don't remember who
contacted them and convinced them to release this but I believe it was
someone connected to the original Sun3 archive.

Sun no longer sells SunOS 4/SPARC, but it's not legal for free
distribution.  They might be receptive to the idea if someone approached
them.

-James