[geeks] New Emulator Machine

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 19:11:52 CDT 2019

So having mentioned that I got looking at a newer PC due to the lack
of oomph my laptop has for certain activities (I enjoy using Simh,
DosBox, Previous, UAE & other emulators, try to get Open Genera
running stable enough to use, as well as some Steam games) & being
inspired by the other thread here. I put together the following list:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Processor with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics
(Highest power CPU/GPU combo right now. 4 cores/8 threads. no discreet
graphics card required, can upgrade to a graphics card and more
powerful CPU later. Laptop with a 2 core/2 thread Celeron? Not so much
;)

MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 D-SUB DVI
HDMI Micro-ATX Motherboard (B450M PRO-M2)

Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8
(high speed, low drag OS drive)

Inateck 2X 2.5 Inch SSD to 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Disk Drive Mounting
Kit Bracket (SATA Data Cables and Power Cables Included) (ST1002S)
(to use my current laptop 1TB as a data drive for movies, music, etc)

Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass Black SPCC Micro ATX Gaming
Computer Case CA-1J4-00S1WN-01
(just thought it would be silly fun to have a clear sided case for a change.)

EVGA 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W,
(should be big enough. Just like 640kb & dos isn't done till Lotus won't run
)

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4
(I may outgrow this sooner than later but I wanted the better CPU so
this got trimmed back for budget).

$474 with tax. Not too bad I think. With Prime, itbs all supposed to
arrive on Monday

I'll keep XUbuntu as my primary desktop OS though I may set Steam up
as a WINE app instead of native so I can get my copy of Torchlight
running again and see how well it handles Warframe (which I'll keep
playing for real on our Nintendo Switch). OTOH, I suppose I could set
up Windows as a dual boot. OTGH, I've really come to despise W10 at
work. Either way, it's a good moment to bump up to Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
from 16.04.

--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.