[geeks] Cheap Processing Threads

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 18 14:35:45 CDT 2019

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> All I know is there are SATA and NVMe devices, and my device and MB are
> "Gen 3 x4" compatible, and the device claims 2900 MB/s read and 950 MB/s
> write and 150K/220K read/write IOPS.

NVMe is an amazing advance in storage protocols.  It upends many of the
assumptions that come with not seek time and having all your read-write
heads attached to one arm.

> All I was really looking for was a boot device independent of the 4x
> SATA III connections.
>
> If I understand what you mean by 'bifurcation' you mean to 'steal' PCIe
> lanes to dedicate for the SSD - is that correct?

I apologize for misreading your original post.  I didn't see that your
motherboard had m.2 onboard.  I thought that you were talking about one of
the PCIe plug-in boards that provides multiple m.2 connectors to one PCIe
slot.

If you're using the onboard m.2 slot, and it has the proper keying for
NVMe, nearly any NVMe device should work.

Bifurcation is for splitting, for example, an 16-line PCIe slot into 4
4-line m.2 slots.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX