[geeks] Cheap Processing Threads

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 19:22:06 CDT 2019

I was looking to put together a cheap x86 system with a lot of threads, and I
stumbled across a deal at my local microcenter I wanted to share.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6 core, 12 thread, 3 GHz processor and cooler ($79.95)

Gigabyte B450 mATX mb w/ 4x DDR4 memory slots, 4x SATA III ports, an M.2 slot
and more ($69.95 - less $30 when bought with CPU)

They had Crucial DDR4 RAM at $37.50/8 Gig DIMM.

And finally, an off-brand M.2 Gen3 x4 SSD board (which will fit nicely on the
above MB), 256 Gig for $45

Should be a nice little box for trivial VMs and other work - that CPU is a bit
long in the tooth, but at that price I'm not complaining.

I've got a small Antec case, 650W PS, and 4x SATA III drives (250G ea) to
round out the build with a small RAID 10 array using chipset RAID.

Just wanted to share, thoughts?