[geeks] [rescue] The State of SunHELP (new server build, etc)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jun 6 19:24:53 CDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 06:57:45PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>Love the Count Count reference.
>Is it possible the issue isn't the drive, but the tray/connector?

Dude, I *did* turn it off and back on again ;)

Nope, tray/sled verified using a SSD (and 2.5" to 3.5" adapter) I had
sitting around, and I also tried the "bad" drives in other slots and
"good" drives in the slots the "bad" disks were in.  Definitely HD issues
(that click click click of death).

Just upgraded the BIOS/firmware on the LSI-9211-8i card to the P20 revision
(latest), and it sees all the disks I have installed.  The DRAC bitches that
the PERC 6i is missing but I figure there's a way to turn that warning off.
Will deal with that tomorrow.

Right now I've got an SSD in the first slot and booted a "Universal Boot
CD" and am running DBAN overnight on the other five (spinning) drives.

I can't really complain - out of ~20 1TB HDs, most of which are 10-11 years
old, that I got for FREE - that almost half of them are bad.  I'm grateful
for what I've got.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford