[geeks] Old spinning iron needs good home

U'll Be King of the Stars ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Mon Jul 22 07:48:47 CDT 2019

On 22/07/2019 03:14, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Cleaning things out I find (so far) 6 retired SATA hard drives.

[...]

> I hate to send them to the recycler if anyone could use them.

Me too.  I actually prefer to use old hardware in many situations, for
many different reasons.

[Note to self: Add this to the list of things that I'm going to blog
about in my copious free time.]

I would be very grateful for these HDD's.  Provided that cost and effort
of packaging and shipping works out well.

For me, these would be "nice to haves".  If somebody else actually
/needs/ them or /really/ wants them, then I'm happy to let them go in
front of me in the queue.

I am located in London, UK.

> Aside: I might ask this separately, but just quicklyb& MacOS seems to handle
> USB3 drives very slowly unless it thinks the link is going to a USB3 mass
> storage device.
>
> For example, one of my little notebook drives does 120MB/sec easily, but even
> the Barracudas on the vertical drive caddy max out at 15MB/sec, which seems

Your message cut out early.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9