[geeks] Old spinning iron needs good home

Shannon Hendrix shannon.roam at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 21:14:53 CDT 2019

Cleaning things out I find (so far) 6 retired SATA hard drives.

Some of them have 2-3 years of service, but were working when pulled out of
service a couple of years ago.

Running them on my iMac with an external JBOD caddy they seem OK, but I
donbt have time to break them in or anything.

I hate to send them to the recycler if anyone could use them.

Aside: I might ask this separately, but just quicklyb& MacOS seems to handle
USB3 drives very slowly unless it thinks the link is going to a USB3 mass
storage device.

For example, one of my little notebook drives does 120MB/sec easily, but even
the Barracudas on the vertical drive caddy max out at 15MB/sec, which seems